Am I being too picky, lazy, thick, etc. or this lesson is kind of half-arsed...?

tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
06/29/2023 3:08 am

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/15589

This is not the first time when I see some random strumming pattern without explaining how it should go...

Basically... just strum whatever you want until you f... figure it out on your own...

I don't know if I am expecting too much but it is kind of annoying as it doesn't really differs much from something I can easily find for free on the internet...

Again... maybe I want/expect too much and I genuinely have no clue...

So what are your thoughts on that?

I am talking about the second riff part (octaves)

I have figured out the first riff mostly... and it sounds almost exactly the same now and I am sure I will get the second one right as well (hopefully) at some point but AGAIN... this gives me some bad vibes... like the lessons are half-arsed and not done right...

Again... maybe I am too lazy/convenient/expect too much and this is how hard it should be and I should try for days until I get it right because this is the way.

I would love to hear your opinions on that matter. Is it something that's easy for you (figuring out that strum pattern)? Do you also think it should be done better?

( also reported and assured it will be taken care of months ago... spellchecker still gives you a weird function of COPY LINK instead of norma/usual second mouse button window... ffs... you can't even use your mouse to copy/paste because of it... )

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/29/2023 12:44 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: tgchan

This is not the first time when I see some random strumming pattern without explaining how it should go...

Basically... just strum whatever you want until you f... figure it out on your own...

I don't know if I am expecting too much but it is kind of annoying as it doesn't really differs much from something I can easily find for free on the internet...

Again... maybe I want/expect too much and I genuinely have no clue...

So what are your thoughts on that?

I am talking about the second riff part (octaves)

I have figured out the first riff mostly... and it sounds almost exactly the same now and I am sure I will get the second one right as well (hopefully) at some point but AGAIN... this gives me some bad vibes... like the lessons are half-arsed and not done right...

Again... maybe I am too lazy/convenient/expect too much and this is how hard it should be and I should try for days until I get it right because this is the way.

I would love to hear your opinions on that matter. Is it something that's easy for you (figuring out that strum pattern)? Do you also think it should be done better?

( also reported and assured it will be taken care of months ago... spellchecker still gives you a weird function of COPY LINK instead of norma/usual second mouse button window... ffs... you can't even use your mouse to copy/paste because of it... )

I think this tutorial was originally published in 2010.  So, it's older one from Mike when he was probably just getting started with GT.  The video production & the instruction have both improved greatly since then.  This is one reason GT does reshoots.

So, I think you're looking at an older tutorial that's showing it's age.  :) 

If you need more assistance with the song you might want to ask Mike in his forum. Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
06/30/2023 9:12 am
#2 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

I think this tutorial was originally published in 2010.  So, it's older one from Mike when he was probably just getting started with GT.  The video production & the instruction have both improved greatly since then.  This is one reason GT does reshoots.

So, I think you're looking at an older tutorial that's showing it's age.  :) 

If you need more assistance with the song you might want to ask Mike in his forum. Hope that helps!

I am in like 90% of figuring it out. I have basically brute-forced strummed for +- 3hours (3 days not in one go) until I have had it matched, more or less. Still off and still needs at least a few more hours of synchronising but still... A simple

/\ - upstrum

\/ - downstrum

(or something similar) in notation would cut the learning/figuring it out process in half if not more. I know it would add a lot of more work for GT to put into... but this is the way you can teach more efficiently and faster (if you are genuinely interested in that of course)

I do not think it has anything to do with the year it was published. Unless you new lessons indeed implement upstrums/downstrums markings in notation or teachers actually talk about them in the videos.

This is more about the methodology and understanding of how to teach fast and effectively.

Teaching a student is like giving food to a small child. You give them small pieces that they can chew through but if you give them too big ones they will choke and get disheartened because of that.

Some people can get through a lot (big chunks), others can choke even on tiny bits. If you want to grow the number of your "children/students", think in terms of those small/comfortable to chew on pieces of food.

Figuring stuff on your own definitely has its own advantages as well (you feel more confident about your skills, you believe that you can do things you couldn't in the past, it boosts your self-confidence, etc.) but if an ever-growing happy base of numerous customers is the goal for GT... Think about those that might choke.

A simple, clearly laid out route from the very beginning got me signed up in +-2017 because I have seen a path I can walk on and it looked good enough to get me started

After:

FUNDAMENTALS 1 (Lisa)

FUNDAMENTALS 2 (Lisa)

I got a little bit lost not knowing what to do next but I have found out my way and later, Anders has led me through the

ROCK STYLE LVL 1

&

ROCK STYLE LVL 2

Here again I felt a little bit lost not sure where to go from here... I knew I wanted to play metal/rock but I wasn't sure if maybe I should do the BLUES and COUNTRY courses first. One again... I have found out my way.

Some people may not. A simple video that talks about where to go from here, why, why not, etc. might help out others in the future when they too will be torn apart, lost and not knowing where to go next. ROCK, BLUES, COUNTRY. They all look nice but where should I go? Once a gain. A small guidance video, a bridge of some kind might be very helpful for some.

Basically... go where you can play what you love. THOUGH... kind of obvious... right? But even now... I wonder if I may find some useful stuff in other course and definitely would love to hear about it from my teacher that has led me through the past months/years in my learning process. Just an idea.

I know that good people like yourself are here to help but some may never reach out/ask for help for number of reasons. I have asked and indeed, Anders and others chimed in. Ultimately I had to decide and figure it out on my own. It turned out good.

Maybe me figuring out those hard (at least for me) song parts on my own will turn out to do me good as well. But maybe those hard moments will be the final straw that breaks the camel's back for someone else.

People like you; Chris, Lisa, Anders, Mike, Douglas, Lee (basically all the people from GT staff that I've virtually met so far)

a good collection of metal/rock songs I am able to learn,

in a fairly well designed space (that somehow works most of the time) that has been my GUITAR home for the last +-6 years,

are one of the reasons that I am still here.

Broken functionality: basic stuff like; wtf right mouse button function on the forum, not being able to use a spellchecker, basically stuff that should not happen but it still does on the forum; in a nutshell = clunky AF..., messed up favourites (doesn't happen anymore, thanks god), etc.

a great amount of my favourite official songs being removed (being straightforward about it and letting us know beforehand was a good move and I respect and appreciate that),

the lack of the songs I like and cannot learn from GT in the future,

lessons that are just not done well enough (I believe I can chew through a lot but it wears me down... especially when I have to figure things out on my own for a few hours, days, you name it... I simply start to question what am I exactly paying here for? (Actually the main reason I have started this topic... I genuinely wanted and still do to know if others as well find it hard to learn or maybe I just need to put more time and effort in it. Maybe I am just being fussy and lazy about it. I literally cannot tell, although I believe it definitely should be done better, easier to understand but again... this is why I need others opinion as well. I am well aware I may never get to know as who the hell would like to spent their precious time on learning some random riff and see if it is easy or not to learn lol)

Will be one of the reasons that may force me out of here one day... (hopefully not, as I do not want to go...)

Anyway, me and countless of souls are still here in GT ranks so it can't be that bad, right? :)

Doesn't mean it can't be even better ;p

Have a great weekend/

--
From a teacher to teachers ;)

edited
# 3
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
06/30/2023 10:13 am

One more thing.

I've never had any problems with the videos. Even in 360p on 24" monitor they are very clear and you can see everything that has to be seen.

Notation on the other hand... 

So I assume working on BETTER notations, the ones that follow the video ;p , because you know... sometimes they do not... and with marks when to strum up or down e.g. to help you understand the rhythm better) might be a better idea. 

What's wrong with the old ones that GT felt like re-shooting? I've seen plenty of them and once again, never had any kind of problem with them. They are perfect in my eyes/

+ wtf is wrong with this forum formatting? Why does my ONE ENTER looks like 6 in a row... What's wrong with the ENTER spacing? One ENTER key = 2x ENTER on this forum...

edited
# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/30/2023 10:24 am

Adding upstrum & downstrum indications is a great suggestion.  And that's exactly the sort of thing that was not done consistently in older lessons, but is now a standard notation feature.   

I think if you look at anything Mike published in the last few years you will see strumming patterns taught & indicated.

I appreciate your thoughts on pedagogy.  I agree with them!

Regarding a path forward, please let me know your goals & I will help you find the right content!

Thanks for your honesty!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 5
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
06/30/2023 11:26 am
#5 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Adding upstrum & downstrum indications is a great suggestion.  And that's exactly the sort of thing that was not done consistently in older lessons, but is now a standard notation feature.   

I think if you look at anything Mike published in the last few years you will see strumming patterns taught & indicated.

I appreciate your thoughts on pedagogy.  I agree with them!

Regarding a path forward, please let me know your goals & I will help you find the right content!

Thanks for your honesty!

That's great to hear~!! Can't wait to check them out in the future. I am learning from the easiest to the hardest level songs so not sure when I will get there but once I do, I for sure will greatly appreciate those strum indications/. 

Thank you for your help. Like I've said earlier; the staff is top notch and I will surely reach out when I feel lost again (hopefully I won't have to ;p)

Thank you, once again, Chris./

edited
# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/01/2023 11:07 am
#6 Originally Posted by: tgchan

That's great to hear~!! Can't wait to check them out in the future. I am learning from the easiest to the hardest level songs so not sure when I will get there but once I do, I for sure will greatly appreciate those strum indications/. 

Thank you for your help. Like I've said earlier; the staff is top notch and I will surely reach out when I feel lost again (hopefully I won't have to ;p)

Thank you, once again, Chris./

You're welcome.  I appreciate your feedback & thanks.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 7
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
07/28/2023 3:37 am

"Adding upstrum & downstrum indications is a great suggestion.  And that's exactly the sort of thing that was not done consistently in older lessons, but is now a standard notation feature.   " - ChristopherSchlegel

I'm learning another song:

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/31343

and I can't stress enough how amazing is to see upstrum & downstrum indications... The learning process is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH enjoyable now/ It really should be done like that with all the notation.

This is just incomparable difference/ AMAZING~!!

edited
# 8
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/28/2023 11:56 am

Good deal!  Glad you are enjoying the lesson.  Yes, that's how it should be done.  :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 9
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
08/12/2023 5:06 am

no idea why some of the indications have not been done in some really key/hard moments though:

I don't get it... any reasonable/logical explanation?

They're just omitted altogether...

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/31348

Also in the notations, the last triplet is marked as a pull-off and in the video it is played as separate notes with an alternate picking

edited
# 10
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
08/12/2023 6:28 am

I had to paste another screenshot in a separate post as it was doubling the previous screenshot when I wanted to paste a new one via edit post function (some kind of a bug that won't let you have 2 different screenshots in one post?)

wtf... this forum is just hopeless... it just changes all my new screenshots into the first one... even though I am trying to paste a new one... after it uploads it just changes into a first screenshot I have pasted previously... 

I swear to god my patience with this site is wearing thin...

I had to upload the file manually/.

edited
# 11
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/12/2023 2:10 pm
#10 Originally Posted by: tgchan

no idea why some of the indications have not been done in some really key/hard moments though:

I don't get it... any reasonable/logical explanation?

They're just omitted altogether...

Also in the notations, the last triplet is marked as a pull-off and in the video it is played as separate notes with an alternate picking

I listened to the performance clip at full & half speed & I think it could go either way, picked or pull-off.  But Dave does call it out as a picked note in the breakdown.  So, I'm forwarding this to the notation team to fix.

Do you see other places the indications or articulations are incorrect? I checked the rest of the solo while I was watching the lesson & it all looks pretty good.  All the notes are there in the right order in the right rhythms!

Thanks for the heads up!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 12
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
08/13/2023 4:33 am

@ 9:02 

the forum still changes a new screenshort  from today to the one I have made yesterday... Once again... creating a file and uploading it manually:

That supposed to be a note that should be pulled-off to and not picked as the notation indicate, right?

+ what about the missing indications of upstrokes/downstrokes in some key/hard moments I have mentioned in the previous post? Is there any reason they are omitted?

P.S. Those up/down strokes indicators in notation must be my second favourite thing on the GT. They're quite unique as far as I know and no other services provide them which is a GREAT thing and should be "boasted" about in adverts/marketing. This really helps out a lot and speeds up the process of learning a lot.

edited
# 13
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/13/2023 2:50 pm

"That supposed to be a note that should be pulled-off to and not picked as the notation indicate, right?"

Yes!  I saw that the first time & think I regarded the pitch arc as the hammer on indication!  But looking again it's not a hammer on indication & that is what Dave plays.  Again, requesting a fix in notation.

"+ what about the missing indications of upstrokes/downstrokes in some key/hard moments I have mentioned in the previous post? Is there any reason they are omitted?"

I'm not sure what part you are referring to here.  In general, the strumming (up/down) indications we not part of the process of some earlier lessons.  Then they began to to be a standard feature, so typically are included on newer songs & course material.  If there are older lessons without them that students want included we try to go back & add them on an as needed basis.

Regarding the forum image upload issue, I've encountered it occasionally myself.  It comes & goes but I've reported it to tech admins every time.  I get that it's frustrating!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 14
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
08/14/2023 4:47 am

I don't mean other lessons/songs. I remember from your post in the past that the old lessons didn't have that. Hopefully they will get re-worked/upgraded.

I mean this particular lesson/song and probably many others by the look of it. It just looks like some parts are omitted and without them (indications of downstrokes/upstrokes). I don't get the reason/logic behind it. Almost the whole song is done but some chunks are left out/

I thought that it might be because of no space/not to clutter the notation too much or something but this doesn't seem to be the case since there are wide/open places without them too/

# 15
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
08/14/2023 6:34 am

Those inconsistencies are killing me... there are so many, I do not want to call them mistakes as I am not good enough yet to learn from just listening, video shows one thing, tells you other and notation something else as well... I just do not have time to correct someone else's job all the time...

I pay for the service to come and learn and would like to trust my teacher to teach me well. What I find is clunky as hell forum, inconsistencies in teaching/notation/videos spending time figuring out stuff on my own because it was poorly noted/shown/instructed etc.

I hate the idea that I have to come here all the time, interrupt my learning/practising to show the mistakes/inconsistencies and waste my time doing so because people who are/were paid for it have done it poorly.... 

Please correct me if I am wrong and I am just a whining individual... Do people really do not care about all those mistakes/inconsistencies? Maybe I am just too accurate and pay too much attention to details... Maybe the whole teaching through videos is just super hard to get right and this is what it comes to...

I am not even trying... all the mistakes/inconsistencies just pop up when I try to learn/practise

E.g.

3:13

With the bend on the 8th string there seems to be a PH (pinch harmonic) in notation and there is not a word about it in the video/can't really tell in the performance video.

and yea I could just ignore it play whatever but then another thing pops up, and another and another... 

I am either too demanding (expect too much)/someone has to do a better job especially when they are getting paid for it/the guitar is just not for me

Probably it's all of the above lol

# 16
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/14/2023 11:14 am

"Those inconsistencies are killing me... there are so many, I do not want to call them mistakes as I am not good enough yet to learn from just listening, video shows one thing, tells you other and notation something else as well... I just do not have time to correct someone else's job all the time..."

I'm sorry for your frustration.  I get that you want it all to be correct for the best learning experience.  I will forward your concerns to the notation & admin team to review.  On this particular lesson I will request the whole thing be looked over.

"Please correct me if I am wrong and I am just a whining individual... Do people really do not care about all those mistakes/inconsistencies? Maybe I am just too accurate and pay too much attention to details... Maybe the whole teaching through videos is just super hard to get right and this is what it comes to..."

The material should be done correctly so I appreciate your concerns.

"yea I could just ignore it play whatever but then another thing pops up, and another and another... 

I am either too demanding (expect too much)/someone has to do a better job especially when they are getting paid for it/the guitar is just not for me"

In my experience students are on a continuum of expectations.  Some are detail oriented, some less so.  In this case, if the lesson is frustrating you, then skip it & work on something else.  Especially until it gets reviewed.

In some cases there is so much material to teach (so many notes, rhythms, articulations) that it is really is difficult to pull it all together into a cohesive teaching experience.  But we'd like everything to be as correct and clear as possible!

Thanks for the heads up!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 17
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
08/15/2023 6:26 am

hammer on & pull-off

I am in a middle of a practise so I'll read your post after/

''

there's a slide from 7 to 8 but not sure were exactly in notation

no vibrato on second 8th and no slide on 7

edited
# 18
toxicdance12
toxicdance12
08/30/2023 6:50 am

wow, thanks, that was helpful

# 19
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
09/06/2023 6:09 am

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/31350

I think I have found another one.

The first passage is played with the thing in a circle at the end instead of what notation shows. The second passage and others is played how the notation shows but it doesn't show that the first time it ends with

--

--

--

--

-8-

-6-

Can someone check this please?

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.