View post (Am I being too picky, lazy, thick, etc. or this lesson is kind of half-arsed...?)

View thread

tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
06/30/2023 9:12 am
#2 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

I think this tutorial was originally published in 2010.  So, it's older one from Mike when he was probably just getting started with GT.  The video production & the instruction have both improved greatly since then.  This is one reason GT does reshoots.

So, I think you're looking at an older tutorial that's showing it's age.  :) 

If you need more assistance with the song you might want to ask Mike in his forum. Hope that helps!

I am in like 90% of figuring it out. I have basically brute-forced strummed for +- 3hours (3 days not in one go) until I have had it matched, more or less. Still off and still needs at least a few more hours of synchronising but still... A simple

/\ - upstrum

\/ - downstrum

(or something similar) in notation would cut the learning/figuring it out process in half if not more. I know it would add a lot of more work for GT to put into... but this is the way you can teach more efficiently and faster (if you are genuinely interested in that of course)

I do not think it has anything to do with the year it was published. Unless you new lessons indeed implement upstrums/downstrums markings in notation or teachers actually talk about them in the videos.

This is more about the methodology and understanding of how to teach fast and effectively.

Teaching a student is like giving food to a small child. You give them small pieces that they can chew through but if you give them too big ones they will choke and get disheartened because of that.

Some people can get through a lot (big chunks), others can choke even on tiny bits. If you want to grow the number of your "children/students", think in terms of those small/comfortable to chew on pieces of food.

Figuring stuff on your own definitely has its own advantages as well (you feel more confident about your skills, you believe that you can do things you couldn't in the past, it boosts your self-confidence, etc.) but if an ever-growing happy base of numerous customers is the goal for GT... Think about those that might choke.

A simple, clearly laid out route from the very beginning got me signed up in +-2017 because I have seen a path I can walk on and it looked good enough to get me started

After:

FUNDAMENTALS 1 (Lisa)

FUNDAMENTALS 2 (Lisa)

I got a little bit lost not knowing what to do next but I have found out my way and later, Anders has led me through the

ROCK STYLE LVL 1

&

ROCK STYLE LVL 2

Here again I felt a little bit lost not sure where to go from here... I knew I wanted to play metal/rock but I wasn't sure if maybe I should do the BLUES and COUNTRY courses first. One again... I have found out my way.

Some people may not. A simple video that talks about where to go from here, why, why not, etc. might help out others in the future when they too will be torn apart, lost and not knowing where to go next. ROCK, BLUES, COUNTRY. They all look nice but where should I go? Once a gain. A small guidance video, a bridge of some kind might be very helpful for some.

Basically... go where you can play what you love. THOUGH... kind of obvious... right? But even now... I wonder if I may find some useful stuff in other course and definitely would love to hear about it from my teacher that has led me through the past months/years in my learning process. Just an idea.

I know that good people like yourself are here to help but some may never reach out/ask for help for number of reasons. I have asked and indeed, Anders and others chimed in. Ultimately I had to decide and figure it out on my own. It turned out good.

Maybe me figuring out those hard (at least for me) song parts on my own will turn out to do me good as well. But maybe those hard moments will be the final straw that breaks the camel's back for someone else.

People like you; Chris, Lisa, Anders, Mike, Douglas, Lee (basically all the people from GT staff that I've virtually met so far)

a good collection of metal/rock songs I am able to learn,

in a fairly well designed space (that somehow works most of the time) that has been my GUITAR home for the last +-6 years,

are one of the reasons that I am still here.

Broken functionality: basic stuff like; wtf right mouse button function on the forum, not being able to use a spellchecker, basically stuff that should not happen but it still does on the forum; in a nutshell = clunky AF..., messed up favourites (doesn't happen anymore, thanks god), etc.

a great amount of my favourite official songs being removed (being straightforward about it and letting us know beforehand was a good move and I respect and appreciate that),

the lack of the songs I like and cannot learn from GT in the future,

lessons that are just not done well enough (I believe I can chew through a lot but it wears me down... especially when I have to figure things out on my own for a few hours, days, you name it... I simply start to question what am I exactly paying here for? (Actually the main reason I have started this topic... I genuinely wanted and still do to know if others as well find it hard to learn or maybe I just need to put more time and effort in it. Maybe I am just being fussy and lazy about it. I literally cannot tell, although I believe it definitely should be done better, easier to understand but again... this is why I need others opinion as well. I am well aware I may never get to know as who the hell would like to spent their precious time on learning some random riff and see if it is easy or not to learn lol)

Will be one of the reasons that may force me out of here one day... (hopefully not, as I do not want to go...)

Anyway, me and countless of souls are still here in GT ranks so it can't be that bad, right? :)

Doesn't mean it can't be even better ;p

Have a great weekend/

--
From a teacher to teachers ;)

edited