Guitar Tricks - The go-to site for Stones nerds?

Idle strummer
Full Access
Idle strummer
Full Access
01/12/2024 4:08 pm

Although, like many GT subscribers I’m disappointed at the loss of many great song lessons, I appreciate the unfortunate difficulties arising from licensing issues. I have stayed with GT as there are still some great lessons on the site and I enjoy Mike’s lessons, but the almost exclusive Stones diet is getting tedious, to say the least.

By my calculations the Stones recorded 422 tracks and GT only has 75 lessons so far, including a few easy/full versions…… not sure I can bare the rest!

C’mon GT, wake up and smell the coffee……..

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/12/2024 5:01 pm

Mike is the one I feel bad for.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
01/12/2024 6:08 pm

Opinions change, tastes vary over time.  Some go back and forth.

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/t/72095

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/12/2024 7:50 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: john of MT

Opinions change, tastes vary over time.  Some go back and forth.

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/t/72095

Not sure what you mean John, I am not going back and forth on the Stones, especially when it comes to comparing Depending on You which is a new release to the 3 tutorials below. These songs date back to when the Stones were still trying to find themselves. I don't think I am going back and forth. Do you think these 3 below sound like the new release? 

2000 man - released 1967

Lady Jane - 1966

Stupid Girls - 1966

# 4
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
01/12/2024 10:54 pm

Of course not.  Musicians change too... their sound, sometimes even their genre (I really liked Taylor when she was doing country/bluegrass).  The 'Stones themselves go back and forth between blues and rock and 'stuff.'

My opinionated point - all the GT discussion about song lessons boil down to the member's expression of what they like or don't like.  It's subjective and personal and GT will never escape the complaints.  To be sure, it's been Rolling Stones heavy but take a survey of what is wanted, and the multiple answers won't be satisfying... or congruous.  Other than, 'less 'Stones.'  šŸ˜‰

For years and years GT had a Song Request sub-forum.  There might have been a lesson resulting from the requests but I never saw one.  No doubt GT's lesson decisions are based on business considerations and instructor interests.  Well... maybe there's some doubt.  šŸ˜

Me?  I just move to one of the myriad other sites/YouTube channels that do an excellent, but not as good job, as GT.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 5
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/13/2024 12:27 pm

The addition of multiple Stones songs from a long ago catalogue that were never hits in the 1st place allows GT to say "we are adding songs". I think, and I think this is the feeling of other members, it is nothing more than "window dressing". Trying to paint a face on a pig.

This remains a good site for quick go to resources but the song catalogue will most likely continue to erode as licenses expire and GT either can't or won't pay the amount required to extend those licenses. That would be my guess.

# 6
Idle strummer
Full Access
Idle strummer
Full Access
01/13/2024 7:16 pm

I agree with much you say John, but I think William nails it…..window dressing and future catalogue erosion due to licensing expiry! Might another 300 titles disappear this year? Who knows…….

Don’t misunderstand, I rate the Stones highly, but like all artists, they have great tracks and average stuff. 

# 7
aranyaroy575
aranyaroy575
01/28/2024 8:37 pm

Guitar Tricks emerges as the ultimate destination for Stones enthusiasts, offering a wealth of resources and tutorials tailored to their iconic sound. With a plethora of lessons spanning chords, riffs, and techniques, it's a haven for those seeking to master the distinctive style of the Rolling Stones. Whether a novice or seasoned player, Guitar Tricks provides the tools for Stones aficionados to flourish.

# 8
alffvdh
Full Access
alffvdh
Full Access
01/29/2024 11:01 pm

I understand that negotiations for rights to use music would be commercially sensitive, but GT could do themselves a lot of good by giving their loyal subscribers a bit of a heads-up as to where they are going or at least hope to go. At the moment it feels like they have no future plans..... other than some jazz stuff ( which is cool.... but not for everyone), or the other 400 or so relatively obscure Stones songs that they haven't done lessons for yet ( I like the Stones...... but not that much ). Its been quite a long time since GT informed us that they were losing a bunch of song lessons, but if I recall correctly, they did say they were planning to get new material in. Strictly speaking, they have done so by releasing lessons on the Stones and the Jazz stuff and some skill/technique stuff. I'm pretty sure that a lot of their loyal subcribers interpreted " new lessons" to be somewhat more than what has been offered.

It would be nice to have an update and a clue as to where they think this site is headed.

Alf 

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.