Solid State/ Tube amps. I dont understand.

Guitardude61951
Full Access
Guitardude61951
Full Access
03/04/2008 6:37 pm
Hey,

Alright, first off let me just say I know freaking DIDDLY SQUAT when it comes to amplifiers. Other than some are awesome to rock out on, and others.. not so much.

My first amp was a Yamaha amp. i couldnt tell you the model, this was over 5 years ago, and it'd been gone and sold. I never liked it from the start, but it came with the Yamah eg 112 beginners guitar I started on.

The only other amp I've owned since, is the one I'm currently having worked on. It's a Fender FM65DSP and I think it's a lot better, but I think I'm still looking for something in my tone.

I checked out the Sticky on picking the right amp out, and I can't answer the question: Do you want Solid-state or Tube. Simply because, I dont know the difference! I checked out the pros and cons and I want to say that I've only played on solid-state amps, but I dont know.

I looked up a description of my amp on musiciansfriend, and it didnt say either way what kind of amp it is. So, I'm still pretty lost as to what I'm looking for amp-wise.
# 1
Death55
Death55
03/14/2008 4:18 pm
Well I can you that you will probably prefer tube amps.
Almost everyone does.
However solid state usually have a "tighter" sound. So would be better for metal.
Although there are plenty of amazing tube amps for metal.
For any other style I would go with a tube amp.

What style of music do you play ?
Do you play gigs or just at home ?
How much money do you want to spend on an amp ?
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.