Guitar break-downs; for or against?

Branislav
Branislav
01/08/2002 11:09 pm
Many guitarist break their guitars on the stage.
What do you think about it?
Are you for or against it?
Have you ever breaked one :)?
Keep Rockin',
Branislav
http://www.stormbringer.1444.net
# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
01/09/2002 1:17 am
I think that a guitar was made by someone, somewhere, who has put his craft and dedication into it... (even the ****ty ones, someone has worked on it at some point of the making process)
I think that your guitar carries the emotions that you put in the music you have played with it.
I think that destroying your guitar, when some guys struggle for years to finally buy their beloved one, is a crime against human art...
Would someone burn a Picasso painting he has just acquired, for some reason?
Love your guitar. It is your instrument, and your media to let your heart speak. If you want to do something for the show, learn to do a sommersault from your marshall stack...
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/09/2002 2:07 am
I think Tom Hyatt summed it up perfectly with his song "Perfectly Good Guitar". Check it out.

I''ve spent years seeking out guitars that have 'that special something' in their tone when I play them unplugged. No damn way I'm gonna bust one up just to thrill a bunch of drunks who couldn't tell music from sh*t!

I was once foolish enough to drill a couple of holes in the back of my treasured Brand X so I could do that ZZ Top axe-spin thing. Fortunately, I can hide my shame, but the holes are still there to remind me.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3

01/10/2002 6:01 pm
Hate it,
Don't understand it,
can't stand it,
don't want to see it, almost cried once when one guy slammed a Les Paul to the ground :)
# 4
mrcrowley
mrcrowley
01/10/2002 7:00 pm
In my opinion, musical instruments are almost sacred. Someone smashing their guitar, jumping on their piano, or kicking over their drums is committing an act of sacrilege.

An even worse form abuse is when someone takes a beautiful intstrument like the guitar and demeans it by playing completely artless and formless, a la Blink 182/Drowning Pool/Puddle of Mudd, music. If you're playing that garbage, you might as well break your guitar and put it out of its misery.
Education is a whip, and I'm being flogged.
# 5
Branislav
Branislav
01/10/2002 7:26 pm
I agree with you.
I also have something to be shamed for.
I saw Blackmore slamming his guitars on stage and I was curious about it, so I
took one old (unuseable :)) acoustic guitar from my friend and slammed it.
I don't know what I expected, but I felt "****ty" after that :(
Now, I can't understand Blackmore (and all others who break guitars) because they
"bite the hand which feeds them" and the guitar is noble instrument, it's a sin
to do such a thing.

Don't try anything similar :)

Keep Rockin',
Branislav
# 6
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
01/10/2002 9:06 pm
Originally posted by mrcrowley
An even worse form abuse is when someone takes a beautiful intstrument like the guitar and demeans it by playing completely artless and formless, a la Blink 182/Drowning Pool/Puddle of Mudd, music. If you're playing that garbage, you might as well break your guitar and put it out of its misery.

ART IS NEVER GARBAGE...MUSIC WAS GIVEN TO US TO CELEBRATE... I DO NOT LISTEN TO THOSE GROUPS, BUT I CAN'T AGREE WITH YOU... ANYONE WHO HAS PUT A SONG IN THIS WORLD HAS DONE THE MOST SACRED THING THAT WAS GIVEN TO US (apart from giving birth)
# 7
Branislav
Branislav
01/10/2002 9:41 pm
Yeah, If someone listens it (not me) there's a reason for it's existance at all.
Keep Rockin',
Branislav
# 8

01/10/2002 11:23 pm
I also have to agree. I don`t think a type of music can be garbage if it makes someone feel good.

I did think that some time ago but revised my opinion since I wrote my first song. I know now what it takes to make a song and respect the efforts of others.
# 9
mrcrowley
mrcrowley
01/11/2002 1:36 pm
I got trounced for that last garbage comment, didn't I. Being a musician, I shouldn't have made such a statement in the first place. My frustrations were misplaced, and here's why:

When I hear bands like the ones I described as 'garbage' it makes me upset because these bands aren't doing anything to promote musical excellence. I know that's obviously not their goal, but when musicality isn't the emphasis of popular music, musicianship isn't encouraged amongst the greater part of society. In the 80's, despite the prevalence of the cheezy glam aesthetic, underneath the mascara somewhere was a great guitarist or a great drummer. Modern bands only have an aesthetic, and that's all.

Music has a huge impact on society. With that in mind, I sincerely believe that when musicianship and technicality are not encouraged in popular music, it can have negative effects on the quality of other parts of society.

So, in my frustration with the aforementioned situation, I called those other bands garbage.

Steve Vai once said:
"In the seventies, it was cool to be a good musician.
In the eighties, it was cool to be a virtuoso.
In the nineties, it was cool to be a hack."

I think that says it all.

I would really appreciated your input on all of this. I know that because you're all signed up to be on the website, you're all doing your part to promote musical scholarship. Let me know your feelings.

Thanks.

- Mr. Crowley

# 10
mrcrowley
mrcrowley
01/11/2002 2:32 pm
PonyOne,

The seminal grunge bands: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, etc. were great. Alice in Chains is amongst my favorite bands.

While Nirvana's music may not have very technical, Kurt Cobain still pioneered a new form of music with his genuine melancholy and despair.

However, the 90's bands I was 'railing' against are the ones that have degenerated quite a bit from the grunge style. The original honesty is gone, as is the lack of care for an aesthetic. It's as if modern music has taken the worst of the glam era and grunge - all aesthetic with little technicality.

Indeed, Motley Crue and Poison did act (and look) like a bunch of clowns, but I wasn't interested in their act, I was simply interested in the music. I liked their attitude of 'go out and have a great time.'

# 11
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
01/11/2002 9:31 pm
Originally posted by mrcrowley
Steve Vai once said:
"In the seventies, it was cool to be a good musician.
In the eighties, it was cool to be a virtuoso.
In the nineties, it was cool to be a hack."

Last time, I saw an issue of Guitar world, and I had to check twice to see if it wasn't a World Wrestling Federation mag!! Those guys were wearing masks and stuff like that!!

Sorry if we were hot on this issue, but I see you have enough insight to have understood your first comment was kind of 'off', I would love, too, seeing great musicians on TV at reasonable hours (not at 2 in the morning on a cable TV)but right now, you have to go and fetch them on the internet or in special store... I hope people will start having some taste for music a little more dedicated to its craft...
# 12
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/12/2002 8:02 pm
I think both simplicity and technical mastery all have their time and place in music. I'm listening to Scissorfight right now, Morphine is my favorite band, but in ten minutes I might decide to put on some Primus, Frank Zappa, Charlie Hunter, or Buckethead. The best acts know when to keep it simple and when to lay in with everything they have. What's most important though is to play what you feel, write about what's on your mind, and communicate with people. If all you can think about and all you love is barbituates, Star Trek, and rodeo finals then that's what you should write about. Tell us how it moves you, how it makes you feel, and why Bodacious was the baddest brama bull ever.

On a side note, I think Pearl Jam started out quite honest and did a lot of great work. You don't hear Smells Like Teen Spirit on the radio, rework/rewrite all of your material, remarket your band, rebuild your fan base, and get signed in that short ammount of time. What I think has happened with Pearl Jam is that over time they've lost track of where they aught to be and are foundering. Kinda like Korn.

I also don't call Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, or Alice in Chains "grunge." Nirvana is grunge, Mud Honey is grunge, not those guys.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

# 13
mamamalabass
mamamalabass
01/12/2002 8:21 pm
You hit it on the head rask.If you are honest and write about what you feel see whatever, then you are bound to reach somebody. Isn't being a musician about communication?
As for how I feel about guitar breaking,I disagree I am presently helping a luthier(I am the shop rat) and I see how much work is involved.The people who want to break their guitars can feel free to send them to me if they are that anxious to get rid of them.
# 14
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/12/2002 8:30 pm
Oh yeah, this thread started out being about breaking guitars..

I'm with John Hiatt too:
"I don't know who these stars think they are
"smashing a perfectly good guitar"
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

# 15
Parrot Head 1970
Parrot Head 1970
01/13/2002 4:52 am
Are you out of your F******* mind?

There's a kid somewhere in your city, town, country, that will be the next great that doesn't own one. Go ahead, break it.

The people that are breaking them today are mimicking people of the late 60's and 70's that were so out of their heads on substances they couldn't play the damn things anymore that night anyway.

Just pissed off here in Canada....

All the best!!!!!! :cool:
# 16
Branislav
Branislav
01/13/2002 10:40 am
I don't like crushing guitars, too, i wanted to know what other people think.
Why swearing?
Keep Rockin',
Branislav
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.