View post (Guitar break-downs; for or against?)

View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/12/2002 8:02 pm
I think both simplicity and technical mastery all have their time and place in music. I'm listening to Scissorfight right now, Morphine is my favorite band, but in ten minutes I might decide to put on some Primus, Frank Zappa, Charlie Hunter, or Buckethead. The best acts know when to keep it simple and when to lay in with everything they have. What's most important though is to play what you feel, write about what's on your mind, and communicate with people. If all you can think about and all you love is barbituates, Star Trek, and rodeo finals then that's what you should write about. Tell us how it moves you, how it makes you feel, and why Bodacious was the baddest brama bull ever.

On a side note, I think Pearl Jam started out quite honest and did a lot of great work. You don't hear Smells Like Teen Spirit on the radio, rework/rewrite all of your material, remarket your band, rebuild your fan base, and get signed in that short ammount of time. What I think has happened with Pearl Jam is that over time they've lost track of where they aught to be and are foundering. Kinda like Korn.

I also don't call Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, or Alice in Chains "grunge." Nirvana is grunge, Mud Honey is grunge, not those guys.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons