Floyd Rose tremolo tuning

Guitardude61951
Full Access
Guitardude61951
Full Access
03/08/2008 5:14 pm
Hey,

I just picked up my ESP LTD KH-202 guitar yesterday. I have 5 guitars now, but this is the only one with a floyd rose double locked bridge. In fact I dont think Ive ever played on a guitar with one of these babies.

So heres my idiot question, how do I tune?
# 1
spychocyco
spychocyco
03/08/2008 8:49 pm
For the first time, loosen the nut on the neck, tune it with the tuners on the headstock as you normally would. Then tighten the nut on the neck and dial it in with the tuners on the bridge. If you stretch the strings out good and get it in tune before you tighten the nut, you shouldn't have to mess with the tuners on the headstock again until you change strings.

Another tip if you use drop D: I back my bridge tuner on the low E way out (not all the way, you want some play both ways) then tune it to D on the headstock and tune it up to E on the bridge. That gives you enough play in the bridge tuner so you don't have to loosen the nut to move between E and D.
http://spychocyco.blogspot.com
http://www.teethofthedivine.com
# 2
eldante
eldante
03/10/2008 3:00 pm
I have a Jackson with a Floyd Rose on it, heard some horror stories about them being so hard to re-string but they aren't, it's just a different technique.

Had my instructor show me what to do. He said to make sure that the fine tuning screws are all set halfway when re-stringing - so not fully tightened and not fully lose. This gives you a lot more freedom when/if you need to fine tune.

Also stretch the strings out fully before locking the strings at the nut, this is really important because if the strings are not fully stretched then they will losen through playing making the locking system pointless.

Overall though I love the FR system, when it is used properly it is great.
# 3
Superhuman
Superhuman
03/10/2008 3:09 pm
All of my guitars have the double locking system except my EBMM and that's the only one that ever goes out of tune. One tip is to tune everthing up ever so slightly lower than key. Eg, the E should be tuned to about 1/8th of a tone from true E. The reason being, when you tighten the nut at the headstock it will put some additional tension on the strings and raise the pitch slightly. From here you can fine tune from the bridge. Just be sure to properly stretch the strings before you try locking up, I usually give them serious abuse for about 2 days before tightening up.
# 4
Silimtao
Silimtao
04/05/2008 3:22 am
I have an Ibanez RG, and it's the only guitar I have with a floating bridge.

I learned a neat trick from a professional tech, and can now do my own setup.

As others have said, unlock the strings at the neck, then tune down about a 1/4 step. On the bridge, put the micro-tuners at about midway.

Now, the "trick" before you do the above. Use a thin stick, like a chopstick, and wrap cloth around it and place it under the bridge, which lifts it up (the cloth is to protect the body.) Now you unlock, and replace the strings one by one, then tune a 1/4 tone down. Lock the strings at the nut. Remove stick. The bridge drops down, bringing the strings roughly a 1/4 tone up. Fine tune with the micro-tuners.

I would suggest though, that you make sure the intonation on your axe be spot-on. If you have to pay for it, it will be worth it. I rarely even use the whammy bar, but was never able to find a fixed tail Ibanez I liked as much as the one I have. So I'm stuck with the floating bridge, but I love that it stays in tune so well.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 5
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
04/05/2008 6:28 am
Also remember, if you find that the bridge is going way too high/low while tuning, and its still not in tune, you have to match the string tension with the spring tension. If the bridge is too high when its in tune, tighten the two screws on the back of the body, inside the cavity that the springs loop on to. If its too low, loosen the springs.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.