a waste of time?

16andlifetogo
16andlifetogo
01/11/2006 7:10 am
what exacley are the "basics of theory" and is there a site that just covers the basics?

thanks alot and sorry for all the questions. :o
Later in the evening
As you lie awake in bed
With the echoes from the amplifiers
Ringing in your head
You smoke the day's last cigarette
Rememb'rin' what she said
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsI'm a super hero. It's what I do.
# 1
Ito1221
Ito1221
01/13/2006 5:40 pm
eralier you said you could not find a theory forum...well on downloads.com if you look you will find a thing called chord wizard theory. I use it at home when im not atr school...its really great goes from scratch to advanced improvve and composition....hope I have been of help
# 2
16andlifetogo
16andlifetogo
01/13/2006 6:53 pm
thanks for the input man :)
Later in the evening
As you lie awake in bed
Ringing in your head
# 3
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
01/17/2006 3:47 pm
Music Theory? Learn it. Your always going to see a split of opinions when it comes to those who have learned it and those who haven't and say they do 'just fine'. I’ve had students when I used to teach who played just fine and didn't know any theory, and once I introduced them to it and they saw what they could learn from it, they do 'just great'. Knowing theory will enhance your musical ability ten-fold, amongst your appreciation for it. Why do you think players who go to school for music come out a way better musicians than they were before.

If you do decide to learn it. Remember to think creatively first, theoretically second.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 4
macrun95
macrun95
01/23/2006 9:23 pm
Try this site for theory. Probably not the best but really good.

http://www.guitarbasics.com/crash_course_guitar_theory.htm

:cool:
# 5
16andlifetogo
16andlifetogo
02/01/2006 10:30 pm
thanks alot man.. that like helped me ALOT.. thanks agin!! :)
Later in the evening
As you lie awake in bed
Ringing in your head
# 6
axemaster911
axemaster911
02/05/2006 2:21 pm
Originally Posted by: 16andlifetogois learning theory a wast of time, i talked to a few guitarest i know, and they said i dont need to learn theory. they said just learn my scales, and know them. that i dont need to get that far into it. both of the guys i talked to are prety good and are both lead players in a band.

i was wondering if anyone else out there feels the same way or not.
please let me know what your opinions are..

thanks guys

When you try to teach yourself as much as you can about your gutiar, and the music it plays you will start to make improvments mesured in leaps, and bounds, and start to enjoy playing more than ever, as well as showing off to your friends. I am confident you will quickly surpass those who told you it wasent nessicary as well. Learn 1st all notes top to bottom on your fretboard, or at least the pattern the notes follow on the neck, as well as open string notes. Then what notes are in what keys is important. Once you find the keks you like to play in, and the notes in each of those keys, 7 notes per key, not impossible to remember, or at least the pattern they follow. This basic understanding will have you creating sounds so good youll scare yourself, and practice more, because you may start to like scareing yourself. It might even take you places you couldnt get to otherwise. Knowledge is power!
# 7
16andlifetogo
16andlifetogo
02/08/2006 10:00 pm
thanks for the replay man :) I have decited to go ahead and learn a little theory.

I have been learning a little bit of thoery thanks to Jolly. he has litteraly waled me through all the modes, and explaned everything to me. He is now teaching me about the circle of 5ths. I am forever greatfully Jolly.

Your a good guy, i dont care what the others sya about ya :p
Later in the evening
As you lie awake in bed
Ringing in your head
# 8
rockonn91
rockonn91
02/11/2006 4:50 pm
thanks to whoever coorected the spelling of waste on the thread name.

that was annoying me :o
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 9
MoonliteShred
MoonliteShred
02/15/2006 6:05 am
Originally Posted by: 16andlifetogothanks for the replay man :) I have decited to go ahead and learn a little theory.

I have been learning a little bit of thoery thanks to Jolly. he has litteraly waled me through all the modes, and explaned everything to me. He is now teaching me about the circle of 5ths. I am forever greatfully Jolly.

jolly is a hero
For the love of music not for the love of money!!! :D

:p
# 10
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
02/19/2006 2:59 am
the circle of 5ths is good stuff. It is branded in my brain permanently. Thanks to high school band.
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 11
axemaster911
axemaster911
03/11/2006 7:17 am
Originally Posted by: Weslabathe circle of 5ths is good stuff. It is branded in my brain permanently. Thanks to high school band.

Confushis Say,

When the circle of fiths all turn to six,
The one in the middle is surounded with prix,
# 12
axemaster911
axemaster911
03/11/2006 11:44 am
Originally Posted by: 16andlifetogothanks for the replay man :) I have decited to go ahead and learn a little theory.

Thanks for the loyalty, Do you now know from study "basic" music theroy
If yes, you liklly have quadrupled your catalog of movements memorized thru both octaves. If you slacked on your study time, and still cant tell me what music theroy means you have yet to begin, and await further instruction. Oh you can tinker around and make up some riffs, and copy songs created by others, and have friends teach finger positions to songs, or rifffffss, or cool shreds born of creative impulses. But do you really understand what your doing as your playing so you can continue to play up, and down the fretboard thru two octaves, and covering every note in the key of choice without straying into another key accidently. Boy, when you get to this point of understanding you can do sick, twisted sh*t thats coming out sounding more, and more correct to your ear.
Thats gets to be alot of fun. The point when it finally clicks, and you get it, and can pick it up and do it at will, any time, any direction, non stop if you so desire in correct musical practice, you may start to feel your becoming the greatist player of all time, but your not it just feels that way. Around every corner there will be someone better, and there better because they most likelly have simply learned, and understood basic music theroy many years sooner then you, and theres nothing more important than years of practice daily to make the fingers do imposible things.
The greatist players = the highest number of correct, productive practice hours put in.
Practice,practice,practice,Its the practice I am preachen, and if you aint beliven your playing will surely sux!
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.