Nylon string necks

crile
Full Access
crile
Full Access
10/31/2023 4:29 pm

In your class you mentioned that you enjoy playing classical guitar. I love the Willie Nelson and TexMex sound and am starting to learn some. Anders has a video doing El Paso with nice examples. As I head in this direction, do you advise using a traditional classical guitar or one of those new nylon string acoustic/electric with a modified neck? 

# 1
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/01/2023 2:40 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: crile

In your class you mentioned that you enjoy playing classical guitar. I love the Willie Nelson and TexMex sound and am starting to learn some. Anders has a video doing El Paso with nice examples. As I head in this direction, do you advise using a traditional classical guitar or one of those new nylon string acoustic/electric with a modified neck? 

I play a Cordoba acoustic/electric nylon string for the Spanish/Classical style I play sometimes. Here's a video of myself and a friend (who also plays a Cordoba acoustic/electric) playing 'Malagueña':  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYNyRXzXAwU

The electric feature allows us to plug into a PA to boost volume when we play bigger venues. The necks aren't much different than a standard nylon string classical guitar. So, in answer to your question I would go the acoustic/electric route.

-Dave

# 2
crile
Full Access
crile
Full Access
11/01/2023 9:45 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: Dave Celentano

I play a Cordoba acoustic/electric nylon string for the Spanish/Classical style I play sometimes. Here's a video of myself and a friend (who also plays a Cordoba acoustic/electric) playing 'Malagueña':  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYNyRXzXAwU

The electric feature allows us to plug into a PA to boost volume when we play bigger venues. The necks aren't much different than a standard nylon string classical guitar. So, in answer to your question I would go the acoustic/electric route.

-Dave

That is fantastic. Okay, anybody lurking here needs to watch that video. Sheesh. 

# 3
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
11/02/2023 6:09 am

Dave is performing his own backing track while he plays. Even the guy that is "accompanying" Dave looks amazed.

# 4
crile
Full Access
crile
Full Access
11/06/2023 12:01 am
#4 Originally Posted by: aliasmaximus

Dave is performing his own backing track while he plays. Even the guy that is "accompanying" Dave looks amazed.

That is a bit mysterious. 

# 5
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
11/06/2023 12:53 am
#5 Originally Posted by: crile

That is a bit mysterious. 

Hey crile,

I hope I didn't confuse you when I said Dave was performing his own backing track. That was just a bit of hyperbole. I was merely voicing my amazement at Dave's ability to strum, pick. and slap his guitar simultaneously.

Sascha

# 6
crile
Full Access
crile
Full Access
11/06/2023 9:43 pm
#6 Originally Posted by: aliasmaximus

Hey crile,

I hope I didn't confuse you when I said Dave was performing his own backing track. That was just a bit of hyperbole. I was merely voicing my amazement at Dave's ability to strum, pick. and slap his guitar simultaneously.

Sascha

and I thought you were referring to the boombox... 

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.