Overpicking on Don't Fear the Reaper solo

DeltaVictor
Full Access
DeltaVictor
Full Access
07/20/2023 9:55 pm

Tom- do you have any more suggestions for  getting timing right on the overpicking in the Franken-lead  part of the Don't Fear the Reaper tutorial? I can hit the notes at the very start of the intro where you demonstrate things at half speed, but even slowing down the full speed play and then moving up speeds I still seems to be not squeezing enough notes in at 0.9 speed even.  It looks like a very loose up-down rapid picking, is there something I'm missing? Do I need to minimize wrist motion? Be braced better? (Just keep practicing <g>?)

Any advice welcome on overpicking, it's a terrific tutorial. Have ambitions of playing the lead as well as the rhythm parts  

# 1
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/29/2024 6:04 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: DeltaVictor

Tom- do you have any more suggestions for  getting timing right on the overpicking in the Franken-lead  part of the Don't Fear the Reaper tutorial? I can hit the notes at the very start of the intro where you demonstrate things at half speed, but even slowing down the full speed play and then moving up speeds I still seems to be not squeezing enough notes in at 0.9 speed even.  It looks like a very loose up-down rapid picking, is there something I'm missing? Do I need to minimize wrist motion? Be braced better? (Just keep practicing <g>?)

Any advice welcome on overpicking, it's a terrific tutorial. Have ambitions of playing the lead as well as the rhythm parts  

Hi there, sorry for the late reply.

One technique that can be very helpful in rapid picking is to bend your thumb (picking hand) so that your pick turns off axis 15 percent or so from the string.  This will lessen the friction from the string and allow you to pick faster!  I also often brace my palm on the bridge.

Good luck,  Tom

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.