Capacitor for tone pot on bass

iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
09/04/2002 8:08 pm
I recently shielded, star grounded and rewired my friend's bass, using the instructions from guitarnuts.com.

While in the course of doing all this, I removed a capacitor that was connected to the tone potentiometer, and accidentally threw it out. Actually, it was more due to a combination of my OCD and lack of knowledge of electronics than any accident.

Anyways, I thought nothing of it, until I sealed the bass back up and plugged in and discovered that the great, muddy, muffled bass sound was gone, and in its place was a very bright to even more bright tone. Fortunately, my friend has either not noticed, or has not mentioned anything to me yet.

However, I would like to restore the bass to normal. So, I wanted to know what type of capacitor I would need (i.e. what volts, uf) and how to install it.

With respects to installation, the original cap was connected to the tone pot body, but the guitarnuts instructions told me not to have anything attached to a control body. I do have a ring terminal which is a ground - should one end of the cap go there?

Please help!!!! Thanks!!!
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 1
James8831
James8831
09/04/2002 11:03 pm
I think a P bass has a 0.047Uf cap,some basses have 0.10Uf, [a 0.10 is more "bassy"/filters out more treble] a reasonable quality Disc cap should do (just a little disc -no high voltage generated).
Where it should go depends on the wiring -some guitars have a cap from the high tab to the wiper and some have a cap in between the wipers .

Just to confuse you a little more, standard strat has a cap "as" ground - ie, low tab [usually soldered to back of pot] has one side of cap to tab -other to back of pot... like this..

Try it like that first.

Good Luck.
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.