View post (Scale Modes Series)

View thread

crimmunity
Full Access
crimmunity
Full Access
08/14/2023 3:28 pm

Hi Christopher

"Maybe it's too basic for what you are after, but that's exactly what I do in each lesson.  I use a chord progression that intentionally focuses on the harmonic structure of the mode.  For more in depth uses you might need to go to more advanced lessons or even songs that use these modes in a direct application."
...and...
"Again, maybe my example is too basic for what you are after, but in each tutorial I contrast & compare various modes for their unique sounds.  In the first tutorial I play all of them one after the other.  In the major & minor mode tutorials I compare & contrast 2 similar modes at a time to really focus on the differences as well as the similarities."

Yes, I agree with you 100%.  The chord progression examples and the contrast/compare examples are SUPERB.  I have only seen a few examples so far but will definitely study and complete these.  They have definitely helped me hear "the sound" more than any other lesson and help me get-it a bit more than I ever have previously

My comment was more a suggestion for improvement to the lessons, or perhaps an idea for a new lesson/course.  A common thing said is everyone struggles with the modes.  I think the reason for that is not understanding the mechanics on how the mode works, or the different set of steps in each mode.  I think the reason why everyone struggles is a lack of going through some non-scale-exercise-like example phrases in each mode.  You open the door to a new world that we've never experienced and go "ok, have fun".  And we as the learner stumble around and then go "what the...."

It's like your friend teaches you how to ride a bike... the front brake is here, gears up like this, gears down like that.  Then he says "ok have fun with it, see you around bud".  The friend should say, let's go down the skate park and try some stuff out.  Here, do a bunny-hop like this... how about doing this little jump onto the rail to slide..., etc.  Having gone through a few tricks the learner is then a little more confident to try stuff out.

Thank you for your detailed feedback, pointing me to your modes lessons, and pointing me to your Jazz lesson example too.  Jazz is a scary word but I'll give it a look.