View post (Why is the D5 chord not the same?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/12/2023 8:41 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: cjjeeper

So I am a beginner guitar player and I am going through the lessons in Guitar Tricks.  After I finish my practice I flip over to Guitar Pro and I am just trying to learn "Rumble" (Link Wray)  The 1st chord is shown as a D5/A.  Looking it up the description says its a inverted D5 power chord and the sheet shows it as this:

A in the 3rd fret D in the 2 fret

So I looked it up on GuitarChord*org and It shows the chord as:

D5/A as D and G in the 7th fret

Then I went to GuitarTricks toolset and I looked up the chord and it shows it as this:

G B in the 5th and 7th fret and bunch of variations that are all over ...

None of these are the same.....

How am I supposed to know how to play a chord that I cannot find a diagram for??

Well I guess I cannot post images...

Hey & welcome!  There are many different ways to voice any given chord.  If you see the symbol D5 all it means is to play a D & A note together somehow, somewhere on the guitar.  Adding the /A (slash A) means to play an A as the lowest or bass note of the power chord.  But just the chord symbol doesn't tell you exactly where or how to play it.

You need to know the specific voicing to use for the specific song you are learning. 

In the case of this song, that D5/A (actually a Dsus2/A) to E is played like this.

|--0--0--|--0----|
|--3--3--|--0----| 
|--2--3--|--1----| 
|--0--0--|--2----| 
|--0--0--|--2----|
|--------|--0----|  

I suggest looking for authentic notation versions like this one on musicnotes.com so you have some degree of authenticity about the transcription.

https://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0051407

Hope that helps!

edited
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory