View post (Hello! Guitar Teacher here! Ask me anything!)

View thread

kvsealegs
kvsealegs
05/08/2017 9:01 pm

This is from one beginner to another. In my opinion, nylon string guitars are mostly suited for classical style of play, whether clssical or spanish guitar. It has a distincly different sound. While easier on the fingers perhaps, it doesn't really lend itself the same tones as steel string guitars for Rock, Folk, Blues,ect. My opinion...

I would recommend playing a few guitars to listen to what sounds most appealing to your ear. You get what you pay for and realistically solid guitars start at around $300. I wish I had waited to develop my skills prior to buying some more of my expensive guitars. I have 2 Martins, a 000-15M and an HD-28VTS, but I find that my second beginner guitar is sometimes better tonewise than my more expensive guitars. And two years after, to play fingerstyle, I am looking for a wider neck to play with my big clumsy fingers. I think Yamaha is a solid choice in that price range. Taylors are sharp on the high end but lack some mid and bass character. Martins are great on bass and mid, but lack the high end. Worth mentioning and desiring to be added to my collection is a Gibson Hummingbird. But I digress. Yamaha guitars, versatile and moderate price range. I would like to add that if my ship sails in, I desperately want a Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Martin Simpson signature because of the wider neck and easier finger playability.

*****WORDS OF CAUTION*****

The advice about using a pick or fingerstyle comes from experienced and likely seasoned guitarists that have accumulated their skills over many years of dedication, but I would consider how much you desire to learn and relearn skills. And how much time you wish to dedicate to it.

I learned with a pick and I kind of wish that I had worked on my finger skills. I have to relearn scales rifts, ect.. As a fingerstyle player you can use your finger like a pick, but it is much more difficult to play a chord simultaneously with a pick. Watch Derek Trucks play and I think you might agree that fingers offer crazy advantages over a pick. But I am sure there are some disadvantages, too.

One other consideration on the same topic, is that yes knowing both how to pick and play fingerstyle may offer some variability; but those who concentrate on one thing tend to improve more than those who divide thier attention to multiple outlets....

For me, I find that I am not good at either method, and because I am slightly better with a pick, feel stuck with that in my hand.

Watch Tommy Emamanuel, or Gabriella Quevedo for other fingerstyle inspiration.

You know it done come easy... Ringo Starr