View post (Hello! Guitar Teacher here! Ask me anything!)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/19/2017 4:28 pm

Hey, Pam.

Originally Posted by: Pinkpam

I have a book on how to play guitar. The chords in the book are different from the ones I am learning in the tutorials. I am getting confused. Why is there so much difference? Which way would be the best to learn?

If you are working through the Fundamentals with Lisa, then you can ask her directly in her instructor forum.

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/threads.php?f=46

I don't know which book you are using, so I can't speak directly to that issue. But I can assure you that there are many different ways to play any given chord on the guitar. So, there's sometimes a difference of opinion on how to approach teaching them.

In the GT Fundamentals course we teach simple versions of chords just to get beginners started playing some music! After all any given major or minor chord only requires 3 specific notes played at the same time. So those 3 note-3 string simple chords are a great way to get beginner's started learning to play the guitar.

After that we slowly, progressively build on that skill & concept by teaching what are called full chords. These are the more common versions of standard open chords. But they are just one possible way to expand the simple versions of the chords to make use of the full range of the guitar's sound.

Hope this helps! Please ask more if necessary & have fun!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory