View post (Why are things the way they are)

View thread

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
03/18/2002 6:15 pm
RAdioproblem: simple answer, radio was never as good as you imagine it to be... but you simply forgot how bad it was, cos you remember the decent stuff.. Also there are ALOT of radiostations now and there are brillaint radio stations... look under alternative...
AS for Via, his music is embrassing, you have to sit up and pay attention to hear the odd little riff here and there wich is good, amongst the cheese and repetitive dive bombing... I mean the 80's guitar based music was very embrassing, very cheesy and insincire... But bands like Depechmode, (very very early)human league (before the 2 women joined and they were this really dark electronica group), Joy division, Talking heads, Blondie, Stone Roses (possible the most underratted band of the eighties), The smiths, The jam, The clash (yes, they were punk and great)... um.. who else?, let me remember...
Well the point is there's buity in SONG writing which poeple like Via step past, I mean he's a speedy guitarist who can write catchy ringtones, and fills in the song with dive bombing, put those together and you got yer self "for the love of god"... It's quite cold and abstract sounding... And i dont think that musicain ship not being so prominant is much of a problem at all... I mean there are still bands like Muse who know their instruments... but they can write songs, much like those in the 60's (unlike those virtouso's in the 80's)... Those virtouso players had crap art work (as opposed to those grung players who played, painted and wrote), no real direction emotionally or politically, and they used speed as a cruth... that's my oppinion anyway...
the 90's gave us alot of great songs, and for the first time there were major bands bringing conceptail art into music (smashing pumpkins and nine inch nails, who open the way for other smaller bands like my vitroil).
I'm just glad the 80's cheese is gone for the time being..
and that poeple now are much more liberal in their tastes...