View post (short fingers vs long fingers)

View thread

hunter1801
hunter1801
03/02/2007 5:46 am
I didnt know where to post this, but here it is. This is kind of a wierd problem that I have always thought about. Basically, my fingers are a lot shorter than a lot of peoples (not freakshow short, just shorter than normal lol). Its harder for me to reach certain frets, or to play certain frets with my pinkie, because it just doesnt reach there. I cant really play standing up unless I bring the guitar strap very high, because I would have to really strain my wrist to be able to get my fingers on certain frets.

Pretty much on EVERY video I see of guitarists, I notice that they have long fingers (normall really, but longer than mine). Its really obvious in sweep videos where you see them use their pinkies. They have a lot longer reach, and can play things a lot easier.

My question is, has anyone ever thought about this, or experience it themselves? Im getting really frustrated because everything I play is a lot harder since I have to strain a lot more to reach frets.

Edit: just wanted to point out that I have been playing guitar for about 11 years now, and can play well. I just have trouble now since for the past 3 years I have been trying to learn sweeping, and a lot of other advanced guitar techniqes for speed metal. This is where things become a problem