View post (practice question for instructors)

View thread

dvenetian
dvenetian
01/04/2007 1:20 am
Originally Posted by: txladykatthanks dvenetian. i actually am a full member. I have read alot on the exercises, but haven't utilized them yet. Ironcially, most of what my instructor has given me is in my books that I have. I think the difference for me though is knowing I have to face him each week keeps me more focused on practicing. I notice he doesn't spend alot of time on form, etc., he is more about showing me the chords, riffs, etc. I have to ask him occasionally, am I holding it right, are my fingers right, is my thumb right, etc., etc.....he doesn't offer any of that to me himself. Is that odd or normal?

I think that's very odd. Form is one of the fundamentals, especially when it comes to chord structure. Proper Finger placement and positioning on the neck allow for easier chord changes and bring common recognition to each structure. That way you learn why they are structured that way. Some chord changes are as simple as lifting or moving one finger, rather than trying to re-position with a new structure just to get the same sound.
What kind of guitar are you playing and what type of music do you like to play? There are many tricks for certain styles of music.