View post (practice question for instructors)

View thread

eldante
eldante
01/03/2007 2:00 pm
I have been playing the guitar since September and have had lessons from the start. It's always nice to hear from other people who are in a similar position as yourself.

I was taught how to hold the guitar, what all the parts were called, how to hold a plectrum etc. in my first lesson. Then we moved onto open chords, their names, shapes, finger position etc. and I was taught a song to play with these chords.

I really thought I would never get it as even a simple open chord was causing me so much trouble and switching from one to another was almost impossible to begin with but now I can play most of them without thinking and can switch from one to another pretty quickly and smoothly. There are a few that still cause me trouble, the C chord is one I still miss every so often and have to think about what I am doing but I know it will get faster over time.

We also moved on to string bending, some scales, hammer ons, pull offs and again all of these seemed so difficult when I first tried them but now they are getting easier and smoother. I have learnt a solo and have moved on to another level.

On my last lesson before Xmas he suggested learning Sweet Child Of Mine as it has so many different techniques in it, also it just happens to be my fave song of all time. I was pretty shocked when he suggested it because before I picked the guitar up I thought it would be years before I would move onto that kind of song. I admit it is pretty difficult for me and I have only got the intro at the moment but everytime I practice it I get better.

I think lessons really help because I never would have pushed myself this hard if I had learnt on my own. I guess there will be a time when I won't need an instructor anymore but I am really glad I chose this route.