View post (practice question for instructors)

View thread

ren
ren
01/03/2007 9:25 am
Originally Posted by: txladykatthanks dvenetian. i actually am a full member. I have read alot on the exercises, but haven't utilized them yet. Ironcially, most of what my instructor has given me is in my books that I have. I think the difference for me though is knowing I have to face him each week keeps me more focused on practicing. I notice he doesn't spend alot of time on form, etc., he is more about showing me the chords, riffs, etc. I have to ask him occasionally, am I holding it right, are my fingers right, is my thumb right, etc., etc.....he doesn't offer any of that to me himself. Is that odd or normal?

I'm not sure... When I teach, I'll only say something to people on the way they are playing if it will somehow limit them or has the potential to cause them physical injury. For most things on guitar, there is no single 'right' way, as long as what you're doing works and doesn't hurt, it's cool.

Your instructor may be trying to get the notes under your fingers and then worry about form next, otherwise there's a fair bit to think about all at once...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com