View post (practice question for instructors)

View thread

dvenetian
dvenetian
01/01/2007 6:35 am
Originally Posted by: txladykatwell i guess he is still sizing me up..he gave me even more work this week! Yikes, but I am enjoying it...so its all good!

It's great to see your drive in learning the guitar!!! Lessons are good as long as you're enjoying yourself and learning from it. They also allow you to show someone your progress and that's a good thing to boost confidence in your playing. I suggest that you size up your instructor as well and get what you want from the lessons. Remember you're the one paying, so get what you pay for. I'm not a big believer in taking lessons long term, especially as a beginner. The reason is that you will end up paying hundreds of dollars to learn much of same thing that a $10.00 book would teach you. Instructors are great when it comes to form, position and fundamental training techniques. After you learn that the rest is practice from you.
I would suggest that if you don't know how to re-string or tune your guitar properly, have your instructor teach you, or find one that will, even if it takes the whole session.
There's nothing better than playing with fresh crisp strings and gettng the proper tone they bring.
This forum offers a member subscription (in case you have'nt checked it out) with a lot of great small lessons in most styles of guitar, for something like a measily $7 or $8 Bucks a month. They even offer some free stuff, but the members area is worth more than they charge. Besides, it helps to support the site and give artists a chance to learn something at no charge. What's nice is that it's available 24/7. They even take requests in the private forum if you can't find what you're looking for.