View post (i wanna be like steve vai, joe satriani...)

View thread

TheDirt
TheDirt
03/13/2003 3:06 am
Pitch axis theory is cycling through different modes with a constant bass note. It's using each of the 7 diatonic modes with the same root. Just like the circle of fifths (a progression through multiple scales), there is a certain order to the progression of modes that sounds best. Lydian, Ionian, Mixolydian, Dorian, Aeolian, Phrygian, Locrian.

Lydian - 1, 2, 3, #4, 5, 6, 7
Ionian - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Mixolydian - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, b7
Dorian - 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, 6, b7
Aeolian - 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7
Phrygian - 1, b2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7
Locrian - 1, b2, b3, 4, b5, b6, b7

Example : C Lydian (C, D, E, F#, G, A, B) to C Ionian (F# -> F) to C Mixolydian (B -> Bb) to C Dorian (E -> Eb) to C Aeolian (A -> Ab) to C Phrygian (D -> Db) to C Locrian (G -> Gb)

Now, each step in the cycle changes only one note, but from the first mode to the last, there is a huge sound difference (C, D, E, F#, G, A, B -> C, Db, Eb, F, Gb, Ab, Bb). Satriani really emphasizes the notes that change each step. He really hammers the E going to the Eb from Mixolydian to Dorian. For a really good example, pick up "Engines of Creation" by Satriani and check out some of the latter tracks, such as 8 and 9 if my memory serves me correctly (don't have the cd here with me and I'm too lazy to go get it out of my car right now).

"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster